Monday, September 15, 2008

mOOn festival


Isn't it positively dreamy that there is a mOOn festival on this planet? It falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month which this year was the 14th of September. On that night, I happened to go out for a stroll in my hood, turned a corner, and was completely awe struck by the mOOn. It was low, immense and superbly full bellied. At the time, I didn't realize that it was the same mOOn being celebrated all over the planet.

The mOOn festival is an East Asian tradition which originated in China, centuries ago. At this time, people gather to gaze at the bright harvest mOOn, sing mOOn poems and eat mOOn cakes & pomeloes together, amongst lanterns. Really! As if the mere idea of the mOOn festival weren't poetry enough.

No wonder the mOOn amazed me more deeply than usual that night. It had been, and was being, infused with our reflection, celebration, awe and love! I hope you have a chance to go for a mOON stroll. Soak up some of those leftover love beams still glowing and reflect some back from your full heart, to all those you love. I'll see you in the mOOn ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture, and would like to go see it in person.
I hope you have received our evite about Dena's birthday party - it's this Saturday night.
Let us know if you can make it.
xoxo cherie

jessmoblogs said...

Check out The Pink Moon Festival at www.pinkmoonfestival.com. Thanks for the info on chinese moon festivals, going to research this further and incorporate into our fest!

Related Posts with Thumbnails