Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sewing Is Like Construction


Supplies Roll-Up

This project, the "fruit roll up", as I tend to call it, is something I've wanted to make for a very long time. And of course, probably for that reason, it was one of the more challenging ones so far. But really, sewing, I've realized, at this stage anyway, is like construction. You just attach one piece to another piece, in the right order, avec beaucoup de patience, and voilá, you've made something! It's quite satisfying and the process is completely different to how I paint. It is true that there are painters who paint this way, (they think, they plan, they lay it all out and construct their paintings), it's just not the way I paint these days. I suppose as one becomes more skilled and confident in front of the sewing machine, one may become more free to improvise, adding and subtracting in the moment.

See how "the fruit roll-up" works?
In this case I rolled up all the different pens I use to sign my paintings.


Pencil Case

This is the second reason I wanted to learn to sew. Who can resist an adorable zippered pouch?
I can't believe I installed a zipper.


What is this called? A Pot Holder?

But it's not one of those things on which you place a pot. It's one of those things you use to take hot pans out of hot ovens. Anyway, I combined the 'pot holder' and 'bib' projects and came up with my first me-made pattern. Sewing over super thick and bumpy bias tape was very challenging. I completely redid it at least 3 times. I see now, why so many are so fond of their 'seam rippers' ;)

And here's the back. Made of a piece of dark jeans.

I'm happy to be sewing/making things! It's not that hard if you're patient with yourself and have detailed instructions designed for your level of expertise. Finding a way to roll those things up in your Supplies Roll-Up ;) might be the trickiest part of learning a new skill though.


(See Project 1)
(See Projects 2+3)

.

5 comments:

emily b said...

Yay! Great job on your projects! I love how you combined the potholder and bib project to make it your own - brilliant!
Keep it up, and I'll see ya in class!
emily

Karen said...

Awesome! I love it! It is gorgeous!
You also do such a good job of sharing, I love the way you write.
Thank you for inspiring me :)

Juliette Nelson said...

Thanks embee! I don't want our class to end! See you soon, I'm coming over for a chat :)

Karen, Thank YOU for being wonderful and encouraging! And for letting me know about my writing. That means the world to me. Thank you :)

emily b said...

I know! Every day I still check the Home Ec website to see if maybe there would be a new surprise project posted! Alas, all good things must come to an end, right?

Maybe some day we can have a class reunion...

Alex said...

Such an awesome blog! :-) I love it -- cool projects! Come check out my blog. If you like it, I would super appreciate it with all of my heart if you (and anyone else that drops by) would become a follower.

http://www.idealcharity.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Alex

Related Posts with Thumbnails